Our construction specialist barristers all have career experience within the construction industry as construction professionals or in-house counsel having worked for contractors, consultants or employers before a career in chambers. Therefore, they have practical experience of “walking in the same shoes” as our clients; speak the same language and provide practical legal solutions.
All of our construction group are authorised to accept instructions directly by companies, firms and individuals by direct public access, without the need to also instruct a solicitor and hence reducing costs.
Our advice includes:
Non – Contentious
- Strategic procurement and legal risks advice of the various options available for property developments
- Advice on the choice of main contract and subcontract standard form contracts (including JCT,NEC4,and FIDIC) and schedule of Amendments
- Bespoke forms of contract and sub-contract drafting and advice on risk reduction, mitigation or risk transfer
- Provision of legal opinion on contract terms received by our clients
- Negotiation of contract terms on behalf of clients
- Advice on collateral warranties and guaranties
- Professional appointments, collateral warranties and deeds of novation
Our multidisciplinary team can advise you Public procurement including:
- Setting up framework agreements and calling-off from them.
- Advising on modifications to contracts.
- Procurement disputes i.e. challenging or defending a public procurement contract award
- Litigation and arbitration - advocacy in all courts with higher rights of audience and tribunals
- Enforcing Adjudicator’s Decisions in the Technology and Construction Court
- Provision of legal opinion on the merits of a case or specific point of law.
- Drafting statements of case – particulars of claim, defence and counterclaims
- Taking or settling witness statements
- Advising on the requirement for expert witnesses and reviewing their evidence
Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Advice on adjudication versus alternative forms of dispute resolution
- Representing clients in adjudication and drafting submissions to the Adjudicator
- We can also provide an adjudicator who is also a panel adjudicator on an Adjudicator Nominating Body for naming in a contract or appointment in ad hoc adjudications
- Provision of representation in mediations
- Draft settlement agreements after conclusion of a mediation
- We can also provide independent accredited mediators to facilitate negotiations