Jam Gazzain has a multi-disciplinary practice spanning across common law, civil litigation, public law, professional negligence, family law, civil liberties & human rights, and asylum and immigration.
Jam accepts instructions in all areas of his multi-disciplinary practice. Prior to joining the Bar, Jam practised as an independent advocate in core areas of his practice.
Jam also worked as a legal adviser in the Home Office, advising on the merits of public law litigation cases in Courts.
In addition, Jam has worked as a specialist appeal case reviewer and provided written advice on public law litigation
cases. Jam is on the Attorney General’s Junior Juniors Panel.
Jam accepts instructions in a range of civil work including contractual claims, credit hire, debt recovery, consumer credit agreements, landlord and tenants, property disputes and personal injury cases. Jam advises and represents clients in claims involving property disputes, undue influence claims, trust matters, tortious liability and personal injury cases.
He has a wealth of advocacy experience in all types of interlocutory applications and fast track and multi-track trials in County Courts and the High Court.
- Acted in a case involving substantial damages against the Border force for breach of the common law of duty of care in handling the Claimant’s goods, and breach of statutory of duty under Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977.
- Acted in a case involving substantial damages involving breach of contract, unexplained transactions, fraud and unjust enrichment.
- Acted in commercial case involving liability, Quantum, and Damages.
- Acted in case involving Liability, Quantum, Damages, the extent of liability, and contributory negligence.
- Acted in case involving Relief from sanctions, stay of enforcement proceedings, breach of the contract and assets tracking.
- Cost proceedings – Successfully acted for the Defendant against the disproportionate costs.
- Advised on breach of contract, negligence, and due diligence requirements for High Courts Bailiffs.
Family – Children Private
Jam has extensive practice in private children law proceedings dealing with complex allegations of domestic abuse, sexual abuse allegations, coercive and controlling behaviour, and alienation, including in cases where the child is represented.
This includes multiday fact findings, multiday contested children’s proceedings, contested multiday non molestation hearings, contested occupation order hearings and ancillary child law hearings.
Family – Financial Remedies
Jam has extensive and broad practice in financial remedies work. Jam has represented clients in all stages of proceedings including FDA, FDR and final hearings, including multiday final hearings.
Jam has experience of trust cases, third party property ownership, company assets and international assets, and accepts instructions in all aspects of financial proceedings including matrimonial finance, enforcement, and variations.
Property, Landlord and Tenant Law
Jam has experience in dealing with matters ranging from possession to homelessness, unlawful evictions, contested possession claims, appeal against homelessness decision in the County Courts and contest possession hearing in the county courts.
Recent Notable cases
- Validity of Trust, undue influence, service of the claim form and strike out of the claim.
- Acting as lead counsel in a case involving forged trust, unvalued property transaction, and unjust enrichment.
- Statutory appeal against homelessness decisions.
- Contested possession hearing and validity of service.
Civil liberties and human rights
Jam is instructed in all areas of human rights, civil liberties, asylum and immigration law. Jam also is regularly instructed to draft pleadings for Judicial Reviews, Grounds of appeal and permission to appeal grounds in a wide range of immigration and asylum matters.
- LLB (Hons), University of Westminster, 2008
- L.L.M Commercial Law, City University London, 2012
Qualifications and Memberships
- Attorney General’s Junior Juniors
- Southeastern Circuit
- Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- Public Access Qualified